Monday, 24 May 2010

The Blue by Mary McCallum

A novel, based on detailed research, about a small community of whaling families on Arapawa Island in the Tory Channel between 1915 and 1938. The central character is Lilian a young Picton woman who has married an emotionally damaged WW I veteran whose family have farmed and whaled in the island for nearly a century. The parallel tales of other characters are also related and the tales leapfrog from the past to the present and vice versa which can make it a challenge to follow if you are reading it in "bits".
However, I read it in two readings - it is fairly short - which enables more of an immersion and I found it riveting particularly when I could make points of connection. The graphic description of the actual process of whaling and the thoughts and feelings of those involved was interesting from the modern perspective of Greenpeace and Save the Whales. However, as a child growing up on a farm where we slaughtered (the emotive connotations of that word!)and processed our own sheep and cattle I could empathise with the whalers and it emphasised for me how in the western world the majority of the population have become removed from the origin of their food - perhaps more would become vegetarian if they had to kill and process their own meat and fish.
Having recently seen "Home By Christmas" (Gaylene Preston's film) and having had a Grandfather who fought at Gallipoli - and survived - the storyline dealing with Ed and the Friar in Gallipoli had particular poignancy.
I feel Mary McCallum creates in memorable detail the "sense" of the inner thoughts of the people and how this can be quite different from the outer face they - and everyone - puts on to the outside world. Again, I could relate to - and vouch for - the authenticity of her detailed descriptions of Lilian's chooks and vegetable garden.
The version I read has an intriguing, complex cover - contrary to the popular saying this does influence me and I feel it does reflect the qualities of this novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment